We are delighted to announce details of our 2016 conference, Making Nature Count, which takes place on Tuesday 4th October at The Studio, National Concert Hall, Dublin 2.
This conference brings together some of the leading voices on natural capital from a diverse range of disciplines, including economics, accountancy, business, communications and politics, as well as ecology and environmental science.
Our speakers include the Chief Economic Adviser to the Scottish Government, Dr Gary Gillespie; author and campaigner, Tony Juniper; the Head of Sustainability at the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales, Richard Spencer; Director of Science at Kew and UK Natural Capital Committee member, Kathy Willis; and Ireland's permanent Ambassador to the UN, David Donoghue, who co-chaired the Sustainable Development Goals.
We will also hear from businesses using natural capital concepts to improve environmental sustainability, representatives from other EU countries on their own approaches to this emerging agenda, and a selection of Ireland's top researchers in this area.
- An academic discussion at Trinity College Dublin titled 'Natural Capital - Is it worth it?' Join a multi-disciplinary panel of academics at Trinity College Dublin for a discussion on whether or not the opportunities of valuing natural capital in order to protect nature outweigh the risks. Where? M4 Lecture Hall, Museum Building, Trinity College Dublin. When? Wednesday 5th October, 1pm
- A series of free webinars for members of the Irish Forum on Natural Capital, in conjunction with the Ecosystems Knowledge Network:
- Incorporating ecosystem services into environmental assessment
- Addressing local health priorities through improved access to nature
- The challenges of investing in the natural capital for urban areas
- Implementing payments for ecosystem services schemes
- A Breakfast Briefing Session for private sector organisations that are interested in exploring best practice in corporate sustainability, to be held on the morning of the conference in Dublin city centre. Mark Gough, Executive Director of the Natural Capital Coalition, will discuss applying natural capital concepts in business using the Natural Capital Protocol.
Registration for the conference will open next month. We hope to see you there.